Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:CommunityGeneral discussionsNon (A) TDA1541
You must be logged in to post to the forum.

Non (A) TDA1541

Need help, .. Is non (A) TDA1541 can be placed instead of TDA1541A it AYA4 without any rewiring? Recently I tried to insert TDA1541, but have no sound Not sure if the chip is defective or can't be exchanged with TDA1541A.

Thank you

Ok.. got it! Just shorted pin 2 and 4 and it plays now!

USB input not working this way (.. only noise.

In simultaneous data mode, which is used by the AYA 4 USB stage, non -A chip should work the same as -A chip.

In the I2S, which is used by the AYA 4 S/PDIF stage, the non -A version requires a clock source at its pin 4, to trigger the output. As you have found out, this clock can be also a bit clock, so you can make it work by connecting the pin 2 to the pin 4 - and that is what the optional jumper there, marked at PCB by the exclamation point, is for.

But once you put this jumper in, your simultaneous data source, such as AYA 4 USB stage, doesn't work, because the right channel data gets mixed with the bit clock.

So, to use non -A chip in the AYA 4, and have both USB and S/PDIF stages operating normally, you would need one more switch at its pin 4. Some non -A chips were reported to work in I2S without a clock at their pin 4, but I've never verified this myself.

And, to resurrect this old thread, in case anyone is still watching.

Having to deal with some TDA1541 non -A chips recently, I looked more closely into the options of using both -A and non -A chips within this or a similar environment, not sacrificing available features.

And the outcome is that it is best to tie pins 5 of two input switching relays, KR301 and KR302. (Pin 5 is the pin in the upper right corner, looking from below, but please check these relays datasheet.) This will require a bit of hard-wring beneath the board, but this way both TDA1541A and non-A should operate properly. Bit clock coming from the S/PDIF input (I2S) will be forwarded to both pins 2 and 4 of TDA1541(A), while the USB input side (simultaneous data) will remain intact.

Scroll to Top